Ann Marie Wahls is a partner in Latham’s Chicago office and a member of the Intellectual Property Litigation Practice. She specializes in high-stakes intellectual property business disputes with a focus on complex patent, trade secret, false advertising, and unfair competition litigation matters.
Ms. Wahls has over 15 years of experience litigating intellectual property matters from inception to trial. Her experience spans a broad range of industries, including biotechnology, medical devices, automotive, and consumer goods. She has significant experience as lead trial counsel in federal and state courts, as well as before the US Patent Trials and Appeals Board.
Ms. Wahls also counsels clients regarding intellectual property strategies, including patent portfolio, product design, trade secret, advertising, and due diligence reviews.
In addition to her practice, Ms. Wahls is a member of Latham's Ethics Committee, and formerly served as a member of the firm's Women Enriching Business (WEB) Committee. She also serves on the boards of the Coalition of Women’s Initiatives in Law and the National Immigrant Justice Center in Chicago.
Ms. Wahls’ litigation experience includes representing clients in the following cases:
- Allscripts Healthcare Solutions: Managed patent infringement litigation relating to electronic medical record (EMR) systems
- Baldwin Filters: Served as lead counsel in multiple patent cases relating to oil and air filter designs and uses*
- Conoco: represented Conoco in patent infringement litigation related to drag reducing agents*
- Ford Motor Co.: Defended Ford in five-patent case relating to hybrid vehicle technologies and defeated two motions to preliminarily enjoin Ford from filing IPRs to challenge the asserted patents
- Hill’s Pet Nutrition: Defended Hill’s in patent infringement suit regarding the use of genomic data to design nutritional diets for pets*
- Janssen Biotech Inc. (a division of Johnson & Johnson): Defended Janssen in assertion of patent infringement for their breakthrough multiple myeloma antibody therapy, Darzalex®
- Monsanto: Managed 14-patent offensive case relating to automated genetic sampling methods for seeds, called “seed chipping”
- NVIDIA: Managed defense of patent infringement in five-patent case relating to semiconductor technologies
- Schlumberger: Managed defense of patent infringement of patent for geological modeling software used for oil and gas exploration asserted by Acacia entity
- Velodyne: Managed offensive patent infringement case involving LiDAR sensors
- Zimmer: Represented preeminent orthopedic device manufacturer in patent infringement suit brought by competitor related to highly cross-linked polymers used for orthopedic devices
- Dyson: Served as lead counsel in multiple Lanham Act false advertising cases to permanently enjoin false and misleading claims*
- Hill’s Pet Nutrition: Served as lead counsel in Lanham Act false advertising case to permanently enjoin false and misleading claims made by a primary competitor*
- GoSecure: Managed defense of trade secret misappropriation and breach of employment agreement claims brought by former employer and competitor in Illinois state court
- SS&C Technologies: Managed trade secret misappropriation claims in Illinois state court against former employees charged with taking and disseminating trade secrets to a competitor
* Matter handled prior to joining Latham