We are terribly sad to share the news that our dear friend and retired partner Alan Mendelson passed away unexpectedly on Friday, October 8. He was 73.
Alan was one of the founding partners of the firm’s Bay Area practice, with an illustrious career at Latham spanning two decades — and leadership marked much of his tenure. He served as a longtime Vice Chair of the Healthcare & Life Sciences Practice (2000-2008) before serving as Chair for a decade (2010-2020). Alan was also the Chair of the Emerging Companies Practice (2001-2013), a role in which he substantially increased Latham’s stature in Silicon Valley. He retired from the firm in 2020, leaving an extraordinary legacy and inspiring countless younger lawyers.
Alan Mendelson retired from the partnership on December 31, 2020. He is widely recognized as one of the most respected and experienced lawyers in the life sciences industry, helping companies grow through every stage of the business life cycle. He has drawn on insights gained from decades of experience counseling the boards and executives of emerging and public companies, both as an advisor on transactions and as outside general counsel.
Mr. Mendelson has advised startups, market-leading companies, and the investment banks that finance them on a full range of transactions, including:
- Venture capital financings
- Private placements
- Public offerings
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Joint ventures
- Strategic collaborations
- Commercial transactions
He also serves as the corporate secretary for many public and private companies.
Mr. Mendelson has drawn on significant experience with Amgen, including as counsel from inception, serving as Secretary and Acting General Counsel, helping the company grow through multiple transactions, including: its major round of venture capital financing, IPO, a joint venture with Kirin Brewery, major research and development partnerships, a European convertible debt deal and a co-promotion agreement for Europe with Roche.
Industry and Community Leadership
Given his life sciences business acumen, Mr. Mendelson is an integral and active member of the life sciences academic, research, and business communities.
His current leadership roles include serving on the:
- Board of Directors of the California Life Sciences Association (CLSA)
- Board of Trustees of the UC Berkeley Foundation
- Board of Advisors for the UC Berkeley Department of Chemistry
- UC Innovation Council – advising UC President Janet Napolitano on technology and entrepreneurship initiatives for the UC system
Mr. Mendelson’s prior leadership roles include serving on the:
- Board of Directors of the Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO)
- Board of Trustees of The Scripps Research Institute
- BayBio Board of Directors
- Cal Alumni Association, President
- National Kidney Foundation of Northern California, President
- Board of Regents of the University of California
- Board of Overseers Visiting Committee of Harvard Law School
- Major Gifts Council for the Lucile Packard Foundation for Children’s Health
- Board of the American Friends of Rambam Medical Center, Haifa, Israel