M. Adel Aslani-Far is a partner in the New York office of Latham & Watkins and former Global Co-Chair of the firm’s Mergers & Acquisitions Practice. Mr. Aslani-Far’s practice focuses on representing large multinational corporations in negotiated and hostile public M&A transactions and a range of private acquisitions and joint ventures around the world. He regularly counsels boards and senior management on corporate governance and defense matters, including in respect of shareholder activism and unsolicited takeover attempts. He also has substantial experience advising special committees in conflict transactions.
Mr. Aslani-Far is a frequent speaker on issues and trends in the M&A market, including as a panelist in recent years at the annual Tulane Corporate Law Institute. He currently serves on the Committee on Mergers, Acquisitions and Corporate Control Contests of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York.
Mr. Aslani-Far's recent representations include advising:
- Scripps Networks Interactive in the acquisition of TVN SA, Poland’s premiere media company
- Sorin S.p.A. in the cross-border merger with Cyberonics to create LivaNova plc, a leading global medical device company
- Siemens AG in the acquisition of Dresser-Rand Group
- The Walt Disney Company in numerous transactions, including the acquisitions of Maker Studios Inc., Playdom Inc., and Fox Family Worldwide; the reverse Morris Trust tax-free divestiture of its ABC Radio business and the creation of, and ultimate exit from, the E! Channel Entertainment joint venture with Comcast Corporation
- Safeway Inc. in its acquisition by a consortium led by Cerberus Capital Management and Albertsons LLC
- Royal DSM N.V. in its joint venture with JLL Partners to form DPx Holdings B.V., a global leader in pharmaceutical contract development and manufacturing
- Eli Lilly and Company in numerous acquisitions, including those of ImClone Systems, ICOS Corp., Johnson & Johnson’s animal health business, Alnara Pharmaceuticals, a portfolio of animal health products from Pfizer and Wyeth, Monsanto Company’s animal health business, and an equity investment in United Therapeutics Corp.
- Rakuten Inc. in numerous acquisitions, including those of Deep Forest Media, Viki Inc., and an equity investment in Daily Grommet
- Sony Corporation in numerous transactions, including its acquisition of InterTrust Technologies Corporation and the consortium acquisition (with Providence Equity, Comcast Corporation, and others) of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer
- Qatar Investment Authority in its strategic alliance with NYSE Euronext for an integrated cash and derivatives exchange in Qatar
- Novartis AG in numerous transactions, including its acquisition of 51% of Idenix Pharmaceuticals and its acquisition of worldwide rights to Famvir® from GlaxoSmithKline plc
- Zimmer Holdings in the unsolicited cross-border acquisitions of Centerpulse AG and Incentive Capital AG
- Asian Food Channel, an Asia-based provider of food and lifestyle television programming, in its sale to Scripps Networks Interactive
- GTCR in its acquisition of Protection One, Inc.
- Thoratec Corporation in the proposed sale of its International Technidyne subsidiary to Danaher Corporation
- Ratos AB of Sweden in the sale of two US operating subsidiaries to 3D Systems Corporation
- GSO Capital Partners in its acquisition of Energy Alloys
- Major investment banking firms acting as financial advisors in numerous transactions