Steven Bauer has earned a reputation for taking tough cases to trial. He has tried nearly 40 civil and criminal cases to verdict in almost every kind of legal battle. For corporations and executives facing major lawsuits or today’s multi-front, civil-criminal-regulatory proceedings, he brings 28 years of experience as a versatile, meticulous, creative advocate.
Chambers USA named him one of “America's Leading Lawyers for Business.” It reported that "'strong-willed' Steven Bauer is a well-known fixture of the Bay Area legal landscape. Clients appreciate him as a 'fiercely loyal advocate' whose tenacity wins results." His peers describe him as “very tough, extremely effective, and an incredibly good team player” with "great judgment and a great caseload." The San Francisco Daily Journal called him a “renowned trial attorney,” quoting another lawyer: “Steve Bauer is one of the best lawyers there is.”
Mr. Bauer has won California’s Top Defense Verdict of the Year (Daily Journal), and has been named an Attorney of the Year (The Recorder), Litigator of the Week (AmLaw Litigation Daily), one of the Top 75 Intellectual Property Lawyers in California (Daily Journal) and a leading white collar defense attorney (International Who’s Who of Business Crime Lawyers).
Mr. Bauer is a Fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers. He serves as the global Co-chair of Latham’s White Collar Defense and Government Investigations Practice Group.
- The Silicon Valley Voicemail Case: Won a complete defense verdict in the infamous Jasmine v. Marvell trade secrets case following a two-month jury trial
- Money Laundering Trial in Norway: Won an acquittal as co-counsel in Oslo criminal court
- The PG&E San Bruno Accident Cases: Civil and criminal trial and investigations counsel in a fatal natural gas pipeline explosion
- SandRidge Energy Investigation: Vindicated CEO in Board investigation, obtaining his full golden parachute payment
- The KPMG Tax Shelter Cases: Lead counsel for the Presidio investment advisory firm in the IRS, DOJ, and Senate tax shelter investigations, including 35 civil and regulatory actions and a New York federal criminal trial and appeal
- The Hedge Fund Insider Trading Cases: Defended an individual accused of insider trading in New York federal court
- People v. Real Estate Developer: Trial counsel defending an individual in state insurance fraud prosecution
- U.S. v. Tenet Health System Hospitals: Trial counsel in a 4-month criminal kickback trial, resulting in a hung jury
- SEC v. Technology Company CFO: Lead trial counsel in a securities fraud jury trial concerning stock options backdating
- People v. Major Railroad: Trial counsel in a state prosecution alleging Public Utilities Code violations
- Failed Bank Cases: Representing the former CEO of California’s largest bank failure in the 2008 financial crisis, as well as other banking institutions and borrowers in grand jury investigations
- In re San Francisco Refinery Litigation: Lead counsel in 23,000-plaintiff toxic tort cases against a major oil refinery
- Akamai v. Speedera: Lead counsel in trade secrets cases concerning internet routing
- Mentor Graphics Patent Litigation: Trial counsel in several patent and trade secrets cases concerning hardware emulation technology
- Oil Refinery Insurance Litigation: Achieved recoveries of over $60 million in environmental clean-up litigation
- Hospital Hostile Takeover Case: Lead counsel in defeating a public entity’s attempt to seize a hospital group
- California State Antitrust Cases: Won summary judgments in antitrust cases in the health care and recycling industries
Equally as significant are Mr. Bauer’s confidential assignments where clients have avoided all charges in grand jury and regulatory investigations, such as:
- a major law firm in the Enron investigation
- several major corporations in Foreign Corrupt Practices Act investigations
- a senior executive in the DRAM antitrust investigation
- the maintenance director in an airline crash investigation
- an investment bank in the Wall Street analyst fraud investigation
- a thoroughbred racehorse promoter in a DOJ tax shelter investigation
- a public utility in a PUC investigation and $200 million lawsuit
- an investment advisor in the mutual fund late-trading investigations
- various hospitals in kickback and billing fraud investigations
- a major retailer in a revenue recognition investigation
- various companies in environmental contamination investigations
- executives in several medical device investigations
- managers and executives in several industrial accident manslaughter investigations
Following a clerkship for federal district court Judge Pamela Ann Rymer, Mr. Bauer served as an Assistant United States Attorney in Los Angeles, where he led “Operation Big Spender,” still the largest police corruption investigation in West Coast history. As a federal prosecutor, he tried public corruption and financial crimes cases of all types, and was a leading perjury and obstruction of justice prosecutor. He joined Latham’s San Francisco office in 1993. In 1996, he was appointed by the Office of Independent Counsel as a special prosecutor in a Washington, D.C. corruption investigation. In 2003, he accepted the ABA’s Annual Pro Bono Publico Award on behalf of the firm.
Speaking and Teaching Engagements
He has appeared on ABC’s Nightline, National Public Radio’s Morning Edition, and CBS News, and has provided comments to the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, L.A. Times, Washington Post, Time Magazine, and to various Northern California news media. He has taught trial advocacy at Hastings College of Law and at the Stanford Law School Advocacy Workshop. He has also spoken to various legal and industry groups, including the ABA White Collar Defense Conference and the Stanford Directors’ College.