Matthew Warren, a finance partner in the Chicago office, advises clients on transactional matters, with a particular emphasis on insolvency issues.
Mr. Warren represents debtors as well as creditors, including agents and lenders. Specifically, he helps clients navigate:
- Chapter 11 proceedings, including prepackaged, prearranged, and free-fall bankruptcies
- Debtor-in-possession financings
- Cross-border bankruptcies
- Out-of-court restructurings, including debt-to-equity conversions and rescue financing
Mr. Warren helps distressed companies navigate through difficult circumstances and advises creditors in maximizing recoverable value on distressed credits based on a sophisticated sense of market practice.
The publication Turnarounds & Workouts named him a 2018 Outstanding Young Restructuring Lawyer.
Mr. Warren is a member of the American Bankruptcy Institute and teaches as an adjunct professor of Bankruptcy Law at the DePaul College of Law. He regularly speaks and writes on bankruptcy topics and is a member of Latham’s Ethics Committee.
- Bankruptcy Needs To Get Its Priorities Straight: A Proposal For Limiting The Leverage Of Unsecured Creditors' Committees When Unsecured Creditors Are “Out-Of-The-Money,” 26 ABI Law Review 93 (2018).
- Preventing Economic Harm from the Miscalculation of Risk in Equipment Leases, 87 Am. Bankr. L.J. 405 (2013)
- The Continuing Lack of Guidance on Professional Retention in Bankruptcy and its Potential Impact on Corporate Debtors’ Retention of Adequate Legal Counsel, 53 Ariz. L. Rev. 533 (2011)
- Seventh Circuit Disagrees With Philadelphia Newspapers and Finds That Credit Bidding Required for Assets Sales in Bankruptcy Plans, The Secured Lender (2011)
Mr. Warren’s representative work includes advising:
- A123 Systems, Inc.
- Graceway Pharmaceuticals
- Greenfield Energy Services
- Illinois Power Generation Company
- National Envelope Corporation
- Regent Communications
- Stone Energy
Creditors / Other Stakeholders
Ad hoc group of second lien lenders in the bankruptcy proceedings of Transtar Holdings
- Caesars Acquisition Corp. in the Caesars bankruptcy
- Senior secured agent in the bankruptcy proceedings of Taylor Wharton
- GE in connection with the Abengoa bankruptcy proceedings in the US and Spain
- RKA Film Finance in connection with the Relativity Media bankruptcy
- Secured lender in the Cardiac Science bankruptcy
- Senior secured agent in the bankruptcy proceedings of Real Mex Restaurants, Inc.
- Ad hoc group of majority term lenders in the prepackaged bankruptcy of UniTek Global Services, Inc. resulting in debt-for-equity exchange
- Second lien administrative agent in the Quicksilver Resources bankruptcy