John Giouroukakis is a partner in the New York office and a member of the Corporate Department. He has a broad practice centering on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and general corporate representation of both public and private companies.
Mr. Giouroukakis has developed particular expertise in representing private equity firms and other financial investors in leveraged buyouts, investments, and dispositions.
In recent years, he has represented a number of private equity firms and financial investors, such as Odyssey Investment Partners, Leonard Green & Partners, BC Partners, MatlinPatterson Global Advisers, Cinven Partners LLP, and Southfield Capital Advisors. He has also represented public and private companies, such as Goss International Corporation, FTD Group, Intelsat, Dayton Superior Corporation, Hubbell Incorporated, Griffin Industrial Realty, Monster Worldwide, Neff Corp., Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc., AMC Entertainment, Books-A-Million, and Spencer Gifts.
In 2014, Mr. Giouroukakis received New York Law Journal’s Lawyers Who Lead by Example Award: Pro Bono for his dedication and commitment to pro bono. He was also profiled by Law360 in the publication’s “Rising Stars” feature for his work on high-profile private equity transactions and selected a ‘40 Under 40 East M&A Advisor’ finalists by M&A Advisor in 2012 . He was also recognized as a key partner in Latham’s Private Equity practice by The Legal 500 US 2016. Mr. Giouroukakis has served on the firm’s Pro Bono, Paralegal Administration, and Associates Committees.
Mr. Giouroukakis' representative M&A experience includes advising:
- BC Partners Limited and another investor in the sale of their equity interests in Suddenlink Communications, a US-based cable operator, to Altice, for a total enterprise value of US$9.1 billion and their 30 percent equity investment in the acquisition by Altice of Cablevision Systems Corporation, a cable operator in the NY metropolitan area
- Leonard Green & Partners in a number of transactions, including the
- sale of its portfolio company, United States Infrastructure Corporation, to Partners Group
- sale of its portfolio company, CCC Information Services, to Advent International
- equity investment in Insight Global
- equity investment in American Securities' leveraged acquisition of North American Partners in Anesthesia
- take-private acquisition of ExamWorks Group, Inc. for a total transaction value of US$2.2 billion
- the take-private leveraged acquisition (together with TPG Capital and other coinvestors) of Life Time Fitness Inc. in a transaction valued at more than US$4 billion
- sale of its portfolio company, Animal Health International, to Patterson Companies, Inc. for US$1.1 billion
- equity investment in Animal Health International
- acquisitions of MDVIP, RestorixHealth, Inc., Packers Sanitation Services, United States Infrastructure Corporation, CCC Information Services, CHG Healthcare Services, US Renal Care, Tank Holdings, BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc., The Container Store, Prospect Medical Holdings, Inc., and Aspen Dental Management, Inc.
- BC Partners in connection with its
- acquisition of Intelsat for US$16 billion
- preferred equity investment in Office Depot for US$350 million
- acquisition of ATI Enterprises
- Odyssey Investment Partners in a number of the leveraged buyouts, including the acquisitions of TrialCard, CPI International Holding Corp., Addison Group, Testek Inc., Avtron Aerospace, Aero Precision Industries, Integro Ltd., 4Wall Entertainment, Fischbein LLC, Cross-Country Pipeline Supply, L-Com, Pexco LLC, Integrated Power Services, BarrierSafe Solutions International, TNT Crane & Rigging, One Call Medical, Safway Services, York Insurance Services Group, Wastequip, Ranpak Inc., Neff Corp., Peninsula Packaging, and the tank rental division of NES Rentals
- Cinven in its leveraged acquisition of Medpace, Inc., a leading contract research organization, for US$915 million
- Odyssey Investment Partners in the sale of its portfolio companies, including
- EAG Laboratories to Eurofins Scientific
- Duravant to investment funds affiliated with Warburg Pincus
- Safway Group to Brand Energy & Infrastructure Services
- Peninsula Packaging to Sonoco for US$230 million
- Pexco LLC to PPC Industries, Inc., a portfolio company of Kohlberg & Company
- L-com to Infinite RF Holdings, Inc., a portfolio company of Genstar Capital
- Evergreen Tank Solutions to Mobile Mini, Inc. for US$405 million
- One Call Care Management to funds controlled by Apax Partners
- Ranpak Holdings, Inc. to investment funds affiliated with Rhone Capital L.L.C.
- BarrierSafe Solutions International to Ansell Limited for US$615 million
- TNT Crane & Rigging to First Reserve
- Neff Corp. to Lightyear Capital
- Pro Mach to The Jordan Company
- York Insurance Services Group to ABRY Partners
- Aviation Technologies, Inc. to the TransDigm Group Incorporated for US$430 million
- Pexco LLC, a portfolio company of Odyssey Investment Partners, LLC, in the sale of its aerospace business to the TransDigm Group Incorporated for US$496 million
- US Renal Care in its merger with DSI Renal, creating the nation’s third largest dialysis provider and the related disposition by US Renal Care of certain of its clinics in Laredo, Texas to Satellite Healthcare and in its leveraged acquisition of Ambulatory Services of America, Inc. (ASA), a leading provider of kidney dialysis and other health services and the related disposition by US Renal Care of ASA’s radiation oncology centers to Vantage Oncology, LLC
- XLHealth Corporation, a sponsor of Medicare Advantage health plans with a primary focus on Medicare recipients with special needs and a portfolio company of MatlinPatterson Global Advisers, in its sale to UnitedHealth Group, Inc.
- Authentic Brands Group LLC in connection with the acquisition of the intellectual property assets of Juicy Couture
- FTD Group in connection with its US$800 million sale to United Online