John Giouroukakis is a partner in the New York office of Latham & Watkins. Mr. Giouroukakis is a member of the Corporate Department and has a broad practice centering on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and general corporate representation of both public and private companies. He has developed particular expertise in representing private equity firms and other financial investors in leveraged buyouts, investments and dispositions.
In recent years, he has represented a number of private equity firms and financial investors, such as Odyssey Investment Partners, Leonard Green & Partners, BC Partners, MatlinPatterson Global Advisers, Cinven Partners LLP and Southfield Capital Advisors; and public and private companies, such as Goss International Corporation, FTD Group, Intelsat, Dayton Superior Corporation, Hubbell Incorporated, Griffin Land & Nurseries, Monster Worldwide, Neff Corp., Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc., AMC Entertainment, Books-A-Million and Spencer Gifts.
In 2014, Mr. Giouroukakis was received New York Law Journal’s Lawyers Who Lead by Example Award: Pro Bono for his dedication and commitment to pro bono. He was also profiled by Law360 in the publication’s “Rising Stars” feature for his work on high-profile private equity transactions and selected a ‘40 Under 40 East M&A Advisor’ finalists by M&A Advisor in 2012 . He was also recognized as a key partner in Latham’s Private Equity practice by The Legal 500 US 2012. Mr. Giouroukakis currently serves on the firm’s Associates Committee.
Mr. Giouroukakis's representative M&A experience includes advising:
- BC Partners Limited and another investor in the pending sale of their equity interests in Suddenlink Communications, a US-based cable operator, to Altice, for a total enterprise value of US$9.1 billion
- Leonard Green & Partners in its take-private leveraged acquisition (together with TPG Capital and other coinvestors) of Life Time Fitness Inc. in a transaction valued at more than $4.0 billion
- Pexco LLC, a portfolio company of Odyssey Investment Partners, LLC, in the sale of its aerospace business to the TransDigm Group Incorporated for approximately $496 million
- Cinven in its leveraged acquisition of Medpace, Inc., a leading contract research organization, for US$915.0 million
- BC Partners in connection with its US$16 billion acquisition of Intelsat, its US$350 million preferred equity investment in Office Depot and its acquisition of ATI Enterprises
- Leonard Green & Partners and CVC Capital Partners in connection with their US$2.8 billion leveraged buyout of BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- One Call Care Management, the nation’s leading provider of specialized cost containment services to the workers’ compensation industry and a portfolio company of Odyssey Investment Partners, in its sale to funds controlled by Apax Partners
- US Renal Care in connection with its leveraged acquisition of Ambulatory Services of America, Inc. (ASA), a leading provider of kidney dialysis and other health services and the related disposition by US Renal Care of ASA’s radiation oncology centers to Vantage Oncology, LLC
- XLHealth Corporation, a sponsor of Medicare Advantage health plans with a primary focus on Medicare recipients with special needs and a portfolio company of MatlinPatterson Global Advisers, in its sale to UnitedHealth Group, Inc.
- Odyssey Investment Partners in a number of the leveraged buyouts, including the acquisitions of Fischbein LLC, Cross-Country Pipeline Supply, L-Com, Pexco LLC, Integrated Power Services, BarrierSafe Solutions International, TNT Crane & and Rigging, One Call Medical, Safway Services, York Insurance Services Group, Wastequip, Ranpak Inc., Neff Corp., Peninsula Packaging and the tank rental division of NES Rentals
- Odyssey Investment Partners in the sale of its portfolio companies, Ranpak Holdings, Inc. to investment funds affiliated with Rhone Capital L.L.C., BarrierSafe Solutions International to Ansell Limited for US$615 million, TNT Crane & Rigging to First Reserve, Neff Corp. to Lightyear Capital, Pro Mach to The Jordan Company, York Insurance Services Group to ABRY Partners and Aviation Technologies, Inc. to the TransDigm Group Incorporated for US$430 million
- Leonard Green & Partners in connection with its equity investment in Animal Health International and its acquisitions of Packers Sanitation Services, United States Infrastructure Corporation, CCC Information Services, CHG Healthcare Services, US Renal Care, Tank Holdings, The Container Store, Prospect Medical Holdings, Inc. and Aspen Dental Management, Inc.
- Authentic Brands Group LLC in connection with the acquisition of the intellectual property assets of Juicy Couture
- FTD Group in connection with its US$800 million sale to United Online
- AMC Entertainment, JP Morgan Partners and Apollo Management, L.P. in AMC's acquisition of Loews Cineplex Entertainment Corporation