James Hisiger, former Global Co-Chair of Latham & Watkins' Real Estate Practice, is a partner in Latham's New York office. Mr. Hisiger has extensive practical experience in real estate financing (construction, permanent, second-lien, leasehold, mezzanine, and preferred equity) including securitized financings, syndications and participation, sale-leasebacks, and OpCo/PropCo structures, with respect to various asset classes, the formation and negotiation of complex joint ventures (mergers and acquisitions, passive equity, and management roles), limited partnerships and liability companies, as well as, acquisitions, dispositions and exchanges, option agreements, ground leases, and commercial leases. He has developed a subspecialty in the Gaming and Hospitality industry through development and finance transactions located in New York, Florida, Mississippi, Nevada, and California.
In recent years, Mr. Hisiger has represented Citibank Global Markets Realty Corp., Barclays Capital Real Estate, Inc, Barclays Capital Real Estate Finance, Inc, Coastal Development Companies, The Carlyle Group, The Cordish Companies, Morgan Stanley, Stahl Real Estate Company, Credit Suisse, and Goldman Sachs.
Mr. Hisiger was appointed to the Association of the Bar of the City of New York Downtown Redevelopment Task Force after September 11th and was the Chair of its subcommittee on Property Rights.
Mr. Hisiger has been named a leading real estate lawyer by Chambers USA, The Legal 500 US, and The International Who’s Who of Real Estate Lawyers. He has delivered lectures at numerous conferences throughout the United States and has written articles that have appeared in National Law Journal, The New York Law Journal, Practical Law Company (PLC), and Briefings in Real Estate Finance, an international journal.
Mr. Hisiger's experience includes advising:
- A joint venture in connection with a US$1.32 billion acquisition of a hotel portfolio
- Developers in connection with a US$2.5 billion mixed-use casino/hotel project in New York and Florida
- A lender in connection with a US$500 million acquisition loan for a multi-property, multi-jurisdictional office portfolio
- Private equity companies in multi-property, multi-jurisdictional sale-leaseback transitions for wholesale shopping clubs
- A national railroad company in a structured finance of certain infrastructure and retail components of a transportation hub in New York
- An acquisition in a transaction totaling in excess of US$6.5 billion for assisted living facilities and senior living facilities