David Lee is a partner in the Corporate Department. He served on the Training and Career Enhancement Committee for many years and continues to lead the firm's negotiations program. He is a former member of the Ethics Committee. Mr. Lee's practice focuses on:
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Capital markets
- General public and private company representation
Mr. Lee was a Certified Public Accountant, and worked in the finance and accounting industry before becoming an attorney. He spent several years at Price Waterhouse in their audit and valuation departments before joining AES NewEnergy as their Controller and Vice President of Finance. Mr. Lee also worked as a strategic consultant at the Monitor Company during his career.
While studying for his Juris Doctor degree at Northwestern University, Mr. Lee was simultaneously enrolled at the Kellogg School of Management in their accelerated, joint-degree program. At Kellogg, he majored in finance and was awarded the Dean's Award for Top Academic Achievement. During law school, he authored An Empirical Study of Tort Reform, a paper that won the Raoul Berger Prize for the best senior research paper of the year and was presented at the annual meeting of the American Law and Economics Association.
Mr. Lee formerly served as the Co-Chairman of the Transactions Affinity Group of the American Health Lawyers Association. He has served as a testifying expert witness on matters relating to electricity derivatives trading and accounting. He also taught accounting courses at the UCLA Extension Program. Recently, Mr. Lee was selected by Super Lawyers as a “Southern California Rising Star 2013” for Mergers & Acquisitions.
Mr. Lee has represented the following clients:
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Newegg in an investment by Hangzhao Liaison Interactive Information Technology Co., Ltd.
- Vizio in its US$2 billion sale to LeEco
- ArthroCare Corporation in its US$1.7 billion acquisition by Smith & Nephew
- Energy Capital Partners in its US$1.1 billion acquisition of EnergySolutions and its acquisition of Coalogix from Acorn Energy
- American Medical Systems in its US$2.9 billion sale to Endo Pharmaceuticals
- Clarient in its US$580 million sale to GE Healthcare
- Cougar Biotechnology in its US$1 billion sale to Johnson & Johnson
- First Consulting Group in its US$365 million sale to Computer Sciences Corporation
- Health Care Property Investors in its US$2.9 billion acquisition of Slough Estates USA
- Beckman Coulter in its US$1.6 billion terminated acquisition of Biosite
- Icos in its US$2.3 billion sale to Eli Lilly
- Watson Pharmaceuticals in its US$1.9 billion acquisition of Andrx and on diligence matters for its €4.5 billion acquisition of Actavis
- Skilled Healthcare Group in six separate acquisitions of 20 skilled nursing facilities and assisted living facilities totaling US$137 million
- Inversiones Alsacia in its US$464 million senior secured notes offering
- Newegg.com in its terminated IPO
- Jefferies & Company as underwriter of the US$30 million follow-on offering of common stock for AVI BioPharma
- Piper Jaffray as underwriter of the US$58 million follow-on offering of common stock for Mako Surgical
- Purchasers in the private placement of US$115 million of convertible notes issued by American Oriental Bioengineering
- Piper Jaffray as underwriter in the terminated IPO of eyeonics
- Telegraph Hill Partners in its investment in Series B Preferred Stock of Medpricer.com
- Alliance Inspection Management (a subsidiary of Nissan Motor Acceptance Corporation) in its formation, initial financing and as outside corporate counsel
- Charter School Capital in its formation, initial financing and as outside corporate counsel