Dr. Christian Thiele is a partner in the Hamburg office and practices in the firm’s Real Estate Practice Group. He advises private equity funds as well as national and international real estate investors on domestic and cross-border transactions in connection with direct and indirect acquisitions and disposals of all kinds of real estate, including financing and restructuring of real estate portfolios and real estate NPLs and performing loans. In addition, his practice focuses on the negotiation and restructuring of real estate joint ventures and all the resulting corporate and real estate issues. His range of services includes all types of assets with a special focus on retail and multi-family.
From 1997 to 2000, he was a research assistant at the Max-Planck-Institute for Comparative and International Private Law in Hamburg. During his German practical training he completed positions with the German embassy in Windhoek, Namibia, and in a law firm in Buenos Aires, Argentina. He was the Joseph Story Research Fellow at Harvard Law School in 2001/2002.
“The ‘very good’ Christian Thiele heads Latham & Watkins LLP’s ‘strong’ real estate team” (The Legal 500 EMEA 2015). Mr. Thiele is a “brilliant lawyer,” and clients praise him for being "very thorough, pragmatic and incredibly responsive” (Chambers Europe Germany 2015). Furthermore, he is a “recommended” lawyer for real estate by JUVE 2016/2017 and a leading lawyer for real estate (Chambers Europe Germany 2016). Clients “commend Christian Thiele for his experience in international property transactions” (Chambers Europe Germany 2016).
He has published numerous law review articles and held many lectures on international contract drafting and negotiation.
Dr. Thiele’s experience includes advising:
- Advent International on property law in connection with the public takeover offer to the shareholders of the international retail group
- Douglas Angelo, Gordon & Co. on various acquisitions (residential, industrial, retail)
- Ares Management Ltd. on acquisitions, sales and project developments, further property law issues (in particular leases) as well as financing, among others sale of One Goetheplaza, sale of several Kaufhof properties and refinancing of the Golf portfolio
- Azure Hotels in connection with acquisitions and disposals of several hotels of the Azure group
- Corpus Sireo on the sale of a residential real estate portfolio to Deutsche Asset & Wealth Management (RREEF)
- Deutsche Asset & Wealth Management (RREEF) on transactions
- Morgan Stanley Real Estate Fund on the acquisition and financing of several large retail property portfolios, most recently the Christie portfolio, on the sale of assets of the Bavaria, Horn and Tobago portfolios as well as continuous advice
- Origami Capital on the acquisition of real estate assets
- Silverpeak Real Estate Partners on the sale of several properties of the Goodwater and Vesta portfolios
- REDOS Real Estate GmbH on various acquisitions and disposals, in particular portfolio transactions