24 May 2017
Latham & Watkins LLP1 is pleased to announce the expansion of its 2017 2L Diversity Scholarship Program as well as its 2017 2L Diversity Scholars.
This year, Latham expanded its 2L Diversity Scholars Program, from a scholarship of $10,000 to a progressive scholarship of $25,000. The 2L Diversity Scholar recipients receive the first $10,000 upon starting as a summer associate at Latham and the balance of $15,000 upon starting as a full-time associate at the firm. Since Latham launched the 2L Diversity Scholarship Program in 2005, the firm has awarded more than $500,000 in scholarships to US law students.
“Latham strives to be a leader in all it does, and that includes developing cutting-edge programs designed to foster and support a more diverse and inclusive legal profession,” said BJ Trach, Chair of the Diversity Leadership Committee. “For over a decade, our Diversity Scholars Program has helped law students learn more about what a career at a large global law firm might look like for them, through mentoring, client work and ongoing conversations about the various paths to success at a firm like Latham.”
The 2017 Latham & Watkins 2L Diversity Scholars are:
- Seth Appiah-Opoku of Georgetown University Law Center
- Maya Danaher of the New York University School of Law
- Dalton Downing of the University of Tulsa College of Law
- Sara Elias of Georgetown University Law Center
- Eduard Grigoryan of Harvard Law School
- Nick Gulino of Yale Law School
- Natasha Karamally of Northwestern Pritzker School of Law
- Joyce Li of the University of Chicago Law School
- Dennis Mai of the New York University School of Law
- Andrew Molina of Yale Law School
- Lucas Novaes of the American University Washington College of Law
- Priya Purohit of the Maurer School of Law at Indiana University Bloomington
- Rachel Suhr of Stanford Law School
- Kiara Vaughn of the University of Pennsylvania Law School
- Milene Vega of the University of Southern California Gould School of Law
- Ruixue “Kate” Wang of the University of Texas School of Law
- Mi Zhou of Columbia Law School
Candidates for the 2L Diversity Scholars Program submitted written applications, detailing academic and leadership achievements and a demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion, as well as their work and personal experiences. The firm received almost 500 applications from students at more than 90 US law schools.
“Our 2017 Diversity Scholars possess a tremendous amount of talent and ambition, and each one brings distinctive experiences and valuable perspectives to the firm. We are thrilled they will be joining us as summer associates,” said Bill Voge, Chair of Latham & Watkins.
Larry Seymour, Chair of Latham’s Recruiting Committee, added: “Our 2L Diversity Scholars Program, now in its 12th year, is one of Latham’s signature diversity-focused initiatives, through which we seek to create additional opportunities for the best and the brightest. We congratulate the scholars on their many achievements thus far and feel confident in their very promising careers ahead.”
About Latham & Watkins
1 Latham & Watkins is a global law firm with more than 2,400 lawyers in its offices located in Asia, Europe, the Middle East and the United States, including: Barcelona, Beijing, Boston, Brussels, Century City, Chicago, Dubai, Düsseldorf, Frankfurt, Hamburg, Hong Kong, Houston, London, Los Angeles, Madrid, Milan, Moscow, Munich, New York, Orange County, Paris, Riyadh, Rome, San Diego, San Francisco, Seoul, Shanghai, Silicon Valley, Singapore, Tokyo and Washington, D.C. For more information on Latham & Watkins, please visit the website at www.lw.com.
Notes to Editors
Latham & Watkins operates as a limited liability partnership worldwide with affiliated limited liability partnerships conducting the practice in the United Kingdom, France and Italy and affiliated partnerships conducting the practice in Hong Kong, Japan and Singapore. Latham & Watkins practices in Saudi Arabia in association with the Law Office of Salman M. Al-Sudairi.
Bill Voge, Latham & Watkins’ Chair and Managing Partner, +44.20.7710.4789, +1.212.906.1352
Larry Seymour, Chair of the Recruiting Committee, +1.213.891.8780
BJ Trach, Chair of the Diversity Leadership Committee, +1.617.880.4514