Diversity Leadership Academy
Our award-winning Diversity Leadership Academy develops and empowers the next generation of lawyers and leaders. Attendees learn strategies for success in law school and beyond, gain insight into practicing at a global law firm, and become part of a nationwide community of Latham lawyers and peers who share a commitment to promoting inclusion, equity, and diversity in the legal profession.
Our 2021 Diversity Leadership Academy will be held virtually the week of April 5. The program will include a mix of sessions to accommodate a variety of schedules, and we are happy to discuss accessibility options for those with class or other personal conflicts.
Professional Development and Training
The Diversity Leadership Academy is a substantive professional development and training program providing first-year law students with the information and skills needed to successfully navigate the law firm interview and hiring process, and transition from law student to practicing attorney. Students will participate in interactive seminars on a variety of topics, including resume writing, interview skills, diversity, equity and inclusion, pro bono, and effective communication. Sessions will be led by Latham lawyers, many of whom serve on our global Recruiting Committee, as well as external speakers who are experts in their fields.
Networking and Building Community
Participants will join an exclusive cohort of Diversity Leadership Academy attendees, providing an invaluable opportunity to network and build relationships with like-minded peers from the top law schools in the US.
The Diversity Leadership Academy also offers a unique opportunity to develop professional relationships with our lawyers and firm leaders through interactive virtual seminars, discussion groups, and social activities.
Each first-year participant will be partnered with a Latham lawyer mentor who will serve in this capacity during the Diversity Leadership Academy and throughout the remainder of the student’s law school career. The mentor will serve as a resource for professional development and career advice.
The application process is open to all first-year law students (class of 2023), regardless of race, color, religion, citizenship, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, military service, disability, or any other characteristic or condition protected by applicable law.
Latham’s Recruiting Committee will evaluate all applications, considering the following factors:
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting inclusion, equity, and diversity in the legal profession
- Academic and leadership achievements
- Obstacles, challenges, or other factors (financial or otherwise) encountered in advancing career objectives
- Life experiences that have shaped values and professional goals
- A desire to practice at a global law firm
A complete application package must include the following items:
- Completed online application
- Unofficial or official 1L law school transcript (if your first-semester grades are not all available when you apply, please submit your current transcript with the application, and then send your updated transcript to Recruiting.Global@lw.com once all your grades are available)
- A personal statement (500 to 1,000 words) addressing one or more of the following:
- Your resilience and tenacity
- How you will contribute to Latham’s inclusive culture and diverse community
- Your academic and leadership achievements; noteworthy contributions you have made to your community (as defined by you); experiences that have shaped your commitment to inclusion, diversity, and belonging in the legal profession; and/or how you overcame adversity
Dates and Deadlines
Applications are now closed.
At Latham you are encouraged to bring your own unique perspective, because our diversity fuels understanding and innovation. Learn more about Latham’s commitment to diversity and inclusion, including our world-class programs, affinity groups, and accolades. To speak to a recruiter directly, contact Recruiting.Global@lw.com.