July 22, 2019
Latham & Watkins ranked #1 among law firms for activism defense by campaign count for the first half of 2019, according to data provided by SharkRepellent/FactSet. The #1 ranking reflects the number of public US campaigns for which Latham defended companies with market capitalizations greater than US$100 million at the time of campaign announcement against shareholder activism publicly announced during the first half of the year.
In addition, Latham & Watkins is ranked as a Tier 1 law firm in the Shareholder Activism: Advice to Boards category by The Legal 500, which highlights the law firms that are providing the most cutting edge and innovative advice to corporate counsel. Rankings are based on feedback from clients and interviews with leading private practice lawyers.
A sampling of the firm’s recent notable representations include:
- Caesars Entertainment in engagement by Carl C. Icahn to gain board representation
- Cars.com in engagement by Starboard Value to maximize shareholder value and enhance corporate governance
- Cerner Corporation in engagement by Starboard Value to gain board representation
- Nevro in engagement by Broadfin Capital to gain board representation
- SeaWorld Entertainment in engagement by Hill Path Capital to gain board representation
Latham’s Activism Practice combines the best of the firm’s corporate governance, takeover defense, and proxy contest practices to help advise public companies regarding changes to their shareholder base and interactions with activist investors.