November 10, 2020
Latham & Watkins has been named a finalist in five categories of The American Lawyer Industry Awards, an annual program that spotlights “the exceptional ways the legal industry advises and innovates.”
The categories with Latham finalists include:
- Corporate Department of the Year: In its inaugural year, this award highlights the expertise law firms exhibit across transactional practices such as M&A, capital markets, and finance to “shine a light on the best of the best—those firms that clients should call with their critical corporate work."
- Litigation Department of the Year – California: This regional award honors firms that have excelled in litigation taking place in California courts or in national cases led by lawyers based in the Golden State. Latham’s nominated work includes recent successes such a sweeping insurance case win in the California Supreme Court and a jury verdict in federal court in favor of an innovative California-based biotechnology company.
- Litigator of the Year: Jamie Wine, a New York partner and former Global Chair of the Litigation & Trial Department, is among a distinguished group of lawyers recognized for “an exceptional run of results for their client(s).” During the past year, she led teams securing multiple blockbuster wins, including a victory for the U.S. Soccer Federation in high-profile litigation with the U.S. Senior Women’s National Team regarding equal pay, a US$666 million award on behalf of DXC Technology in a post-M&A dispute with Hewlett-Packard Enterprise, as well as the dismissal of two multi-billion dollar securities class actions for DXC
- Best Mentor – Law Firm: Washington, D.C. partner Amanda Reeves has been selected among law firm leaders who have “dedicated a significant portion of their time and energy to mentoring younger professionals.” Reeves helped develop firm-wide programs during her recently-completed tenure as Chair of the firm’s Mentoring Committee, and she continues to mentor colleagues in her current role as Chair of the Global Antitrust & Competition Practice.
- Best Provider Collaboration: Latham has been recognized for collaborating with leading blockchain technology company ConsenSys, a firm client, to develop the Automated Convertible Note, a complimentary, OpenLaw-based document generator that helps startups raise capital with customizable market standard terms and optional digital token provisions. The online document generator builds in protections and much needed flexibility to navigate securities regulatory concerns in nascent token projects. The legal work was led by members of the firm’s Financial Regulatory Practice and Fintech Industry Group.
The category winners will be announced at a virtual event on January 14, 2021.