Yvette Valdez is a partner in the New York office of Latham & Watkins. Ms. Valdez is head of the US Derivatives Regulatory practice and a member of the firm’s Financial Institutions and Fintech Industry Groups and Financial Regulatory and Derivatives Practices.
Ms. Valdez advises emerging companies, financial institutions, and investment managers on complex regulatory challenges in the development of bespoke financial crypto-asset and cryptocurrency technologies including token sales, market infrastructure, trading, clearing, and settlement solutions on distributed ledger technology. She also advises clients on domestic and cross-border cutting-edge fintech initiatives in the derivatives markets.
Ms. Valdez also has significant experience representing dealers, intermediaries, and end-users in connection with derivatives (swaps and futures) legal and regulatory matters under the Dodd-Frank Act, the Commodity Exchange Act, as well as related CFTC, SEC, and prudential regulation.
Her regulatory practice consists of assisting foreign and domestic investment banks, futures commission merchants, introducing brokers, broker-dealers, and commodity pool operators and commodity trading advisors with their derivatives regulatory compliance requirements as well as advising buy-side clients in connection with their margining, clearing, and trade execution requirements. Ms. Valdez also counsels clients in market infrastructure, trading, clearing, and settlement in the derivatives markets, including FBOTs, swap execution facilities, and designated contract markets.
Ms. Valdez has extensive experience representing financial institutions in bespoke derivatives transactions, including interest rate and credit derivatives, foreign exchange transactions, total return swaps, commodity transactions, futures, and options.
Ms. Valdez was named to Innovate Finance's 2018 Women in FinTech Powerlist in the Professional & Financial Services category in recognition of her leadership in the industry.
- CREEL, Fintech in Mexico, Cryptocurrency Regulation Panel, October 2018 (Mexico City)
- JPMorgan Private Bank, Cryptocurrency and ICO Event, April 2018
- Blockmatics Event, Blockchain & Law, March 2018
- Blockmatics Event, Blockchain & Law: Self-governance in an unregulated world, January 2018
- Cardozo Tech Talk: Structuring Legally Compliant Token Sales, November 2017
- Financial Revolutionist Conference, ICO Panel, November 2017
- 2017 Blockchain Technology and Digital Currency National Institute, hosted by American Bar Association, April 2017
- The Evolving Landscape for Cryptocurrencies and Distributed Ledger Technology, Empire Startups Fintech Conference, April 2017
- Cryptocurrencies and Blockchain Technology - Truth or Dare, Futures Industry Association Law & Compliance, May 2016