Matthew Moore is a partner in the Washington, D.C. office and is a former Global Co-Chair of Latham & Watkins' Intellectual Property Litigation Practice. He provides strategic business counseling on intellectual property issues, and has extensive trial and appellate experience in patent, trade secret, antitrust, and false advertising cases. He has represented numerous Fortune 100 companies. He was also appointed liaison counsel by the United States District Court for the Central District of California on behalf of 270 defendants in the largest Multi-District Litigation (MDL) patent case in history, and obtained summary judgment of invalidity on 46 asserted claims.
Prior to joining Latham, Mr. Moore was the manager of product development for software-related technologies at GE Aerospace. While working at GE, Mr. Moore also obtained his MS in Systems Engineering at the University of Pennsylvania and played professional lacrosse for the Philadelphia Wings.
Mr. Moore is regularly recognized as a leading intellectual property lawyer by The Legal 500, Chambers USA, IAM Patent 1000, and Managing Intellectual Property for Intellectual Property Litigation in the District of Columbia. The AmLaw Litigation Daily recognized him in April 2014 as Litigator of the Week for being the first to defeat Intellectual Ventures and stated that “Moore and his colleagues at Latham have a knack for invalidating patents on abstractness grounds.” In October 2014, The National Law Journal named Mr. Moore an Intellectual Property Trailblazer and Pioneer, noting “Moore was the first to use Section 101 of the US Patent Act to get cases dismissed.”
He is admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court, the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and the United States District Courts for the Eastern District of Texas, the Western District of Wisconsin and the Eastern District of Michigan, and is a member of the American Intellectual Property Law Association.
Mr. Moore's recent speaking engagements include:
- “Patent Litigation in the United States,” FCBA 2016 Global Series — Innovation, Intellectual Property, Trade: Finding a Clear Path, Paris, France, October 2016
- “Bridging the IP Gap Between the US, Europe and Asia — Trial Lawyers Panel,” FCBA Global Fellows Series, Washington, D.C., October 2016
- “Enforcement of Patent Judgments,” United States-China Intellectual Property Adjudication Conference, Beijing, China, May 2012
- “Automotive Legal and Compliance Share Forum,” Detroit Auto Show, January 2012
- “Joint Judicial Conference on Japan and US Intellectual Property Rights,” Tokyo, Japan, October 2011