Dan Smith advises financial institutions and corporates on high-stakes commercial disputes and investigations, particularly in the areas of investment and finance, insolvencies, and bribery and corruption.
Mr. Smith regularly represents corporates, issuers, banks, bondholders, lenders, shareholders, investors, trustees, and related parties in major cross-border disputes, with a focus on High Court and appellate litigation, related to:
- Investment and financial instruments disputes
- Contentious restructurings, insolvencies, and related disputes
- Complex commercial litigation
He also advises clients out of court on:
- Pre-dispute counseling
- Contentious regulatory and enforcement matters
- Investigations into fraud and other wrongdoing
- Transactional anti-corruption diligence, risk assessments, and compliance enhancement
- Anti-corruption controls
Drawing on successful experience in the courts and with adverse parties, Mr. Smith provides clients tremendous value by developing a comprehensive dispute strategy early in line with clients’ business objectives.
After qualification, Mr. Smith was seconded to the Court of Appeal as a judicial assistant to Lord Phillips, MR (now former President of the UK Supreme Court) and is a member of Transparency International. He has written extensively in national and international legal journals about bribery and corruption issues, as well as commercial litigation issues.
- Key Counsel – Commercial Litigation
Legal 500 UK 2020
- Rising Star – Banking
Legal 500 UK 2020
- Notable Practitioner – Litigation
Chambers UK 2016
- “Very impressive”
“A very polished individual with a good eye for detail”
Chambers USA 2016
- “A really good lawyer - dependable, solid, articulate and well thought out”
Chambers UK 2015