Josh Bledsoe is counsel in the Environment, Land & Resources Department. His practice focuses on complex infrastructure and development projects, particularly those utilizing renewable or low-carbon technologies. He has broad experience in the permitting, entitlement, environmental review, and financing of cleantech projects; and also handles related administrative and judicial challenges.
Mr. Bledsoe has deep experience with climate change law, including California’s Global Warming Solutions Act of 2006 (commonly known as “AB 32”) and associated Air Resources Board regulations such as the Low Carbon Fuel Standard (LCFS) and the Cap-and-Trade Program. He guides clients to monetize the low-carbon attributes of their products or services under various carbon pricing and regulatory regimes. He also possesses in-depth knowledge of the California Environmental Quality Act, the National Environmental Policy Act, the Clean Air Act (and its state and local counterparts throughout California), the Clean Water Act, the Endangered Species Act, the Porter-Cologne Water Quality Control Act and the Warren-Alquist Act (including the siting procedures of the California Energy Commission).
Mr. Bledsoe also has experience in the permitting and development of energy projects, both fossil fuel fired and renewable. He has obtained federal, state, and local approvals for such projects, crafting innovative solutions to environmental and resource problems. He also possesses extensive transactional experience, having represented buyers, sellers, and lenders in matters involving environmental liabilities related to real estate and business transactions, complicated mergers and acquisitions, and access to capital markets.
Mr. Bledsoe currently serves both on Latham’s Sustainability Steering Committee and the Advisory Council for Lawyers for a Sustainable Economy.
Mr. Bledsoe’s speaking engagements include the following:
- Navigating the American Carbon World Conference, New LCFS Programs on the Horizon, April 25, 2019
- Navigating the American Carbon World Conference, LCFS Market Update, April 5, 2018
- Air & Waste Management Association West Coast Section Annual Meeting, September 21, 2017
- Navigating the American Carbon World Conference, International Imports and Domestic Regulation – an LCFS Market Outlook, April 19, 2017
- 2017 Advanced CEQA Workshop, February 23, 2017
- Air & Waste Management Association West Coast Section Annual Meeting, October 19, 2016
- Sustain OC 7th Annual Conference & Expo, October 13, 2016
- Air & Climate Forecast: September 2016 Webcast, September 20, 2016
- Climate Change Impacts and Adaptation, Air & Waste Management Association 2014 Annual Conference, June 24-27, 2014
- Oral Argument in the Supreme Court on EPA’s GHG Permitting Authority in UARG v. EPA, South Coast Air Quality Management District’s Home Rule Advisory Group Climate Change Subcommittee, April 15, 2014
- Air & Climate Forecast: March 2014 Webcast, March 20, 2014
- Project Development Trends And Updates Webcast, March 19, 2014
- Carbon Cap-and-Trade in Action, University of San Diego’s Fifth Annual Climate and Energy Law Symposium, November 8, 2013
- Update on California’s Cap-and-Trade Program, Air & Waste Management Association, February 28, 2013