Alan Mendelson, widely recognized as one of the most respected and experienced lawyers in the life sciences industry, helps companies grow through every stage of the business life cycle. He draws on insights gained from decades of experience counseling the boards and executives of emerging and public companies, both as an advisor on transactions and as outside general counsel.
Mr. Mendelson advises startups, market-leading companies, and the investment banks that finance them on a full range of transactions, including:
- Venture capital financings
- Private placements
- Public offerings
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Joint ventures
- Strategic collaborations
- Commercial transactions
He also serves as the corporate secretary for many public and private companies.
Mr. Mendelson draws on significant experience with Amgen, including as counsel from inception, serving as Secretary and Acting General Counsel, helping the company grow through multiple transactions, including: its major round of venture capital financing, IPO, a joint venture with Kirin Brewery, major research and development partnerships, a European convertible debt deal and a co-promotion agreement for Europe with Roche.
Industry and Community Leadership
Given his life sciences business acumen, Mr. Mendelson is an integral and active member of the life sciences academic, research, and business communities.
His current leadership roles include serving on the:
- Board of Directors of the California Life Sciences Association (CLSA)
- Board of Trustees of the UC Berkeley Foundation
- Board of Advisors for the UC Berkeley Department of Chemistry
- UC Innovation Council – advising UC President Janet Napolitano on technology and entrepreneurship initiatives for the UC system
Mr. Mendelson’s prior leadership roles include serving on the:
- Board of Directors of the Biotechnology Industry Organization (BIO)
- Board of Trustees of The Scripps Research Institute
- BayBio Board of Directors
- Cal Alumni Association, President
- National Kidney Foundation of Northern California, President
- Board of Regents of the University of California
- Board of Overseers Visiting Committee of Harvard Law School
- Major Gifts Council for the Lucile Packard Foundation for Children’s Health
- Board of the American Friends of Rambam Medical Center, Haifa, Israel