M&A Scholars Program
The Latham & Watkins M&A Scholars Program gives enterprising US law students a chance to be a part of one of the world’s leading M&A practices. Last year, our M&A lawyers handled more than US$618 billion in announced mergers and acquisitions transactions worldwide, representing principal entities or financial advisors in 500+ public and private transactions.
As an M&A Scholar, you’ll work closely with our lawyers as they advise on sophisticated domestic and cross-border transactions across a range of industries, gaining an understanding of substantive legal issues and market trends that impact global
Meet the Chairs
Dates and Deadlines
The application period for the M&A Scholars Program opens on June 1, 2019, and closes on August 9, 2019.
Please note: Applying for our M&A Scholars Program does not preclude you from interviewing with us during on-campus
interviews. In fact, because we are only able to invite a small percentage of applicants back for an initial round of interviews, we encourage candidates to still schedule an on-campus interview with us.
Scholarship and Employment Offer
The M&A Scholars Program awards select second-year law school students an offer of summer employment, tailored mentoring from a senior M&A lawyer, and a scholarship of US$5,000, which will be paid upon starting as a full-time associate at the firm.
As an M&A Scholar, you will also receive valuable networking and training opportunities with the firm’s M&A Practice.
To be eligible to apply for the 2020 M&A Scholars Program, you must be enrolled in an ABA-accredited law school and seek to practice law in the M&A Practice at one of Latham’s US offices. You must have successfully completed your first year of a full-time JD program by the application deadline, with an expected graduation date of spring 2021.
The application process is open to all rising second-year law students (class of 2021) enrolled in an ABA-accredited law school, regardless of race, color, religion, citizenship, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, military service, disability, or any other characteristic or condition protected by applicable law.
A selection panel of Latham lawyers will evaluate all applications, considering the factors below:
- Academic and leadership achievements
- Life experiences that have shaped values and professional goals
- Relevant experience (academic, clinical, externship, and/or employment)
- Desire to practice M&A law at one of Latham’s US offices
General Application Requirements
A complete application package must include the following items:
- Completed online application
- Unofficial or official law school transcript (including your complete grades for the 1L year; if your spring grades are not available when you apply, you can submit your transcript to email@example.com when they become available.
- A personal statement (approximately 500 words) describing your academic and leadership achievements, discussing previous work experience, and indicating how you’ll contribute to our M&A practice as well as our culture of teamwork, excellence, and inclusion
Please email Recruiting.Global@lw.com with any questions regarding the Latham & Watkins M&A Scholars Program.
Chambers Global 2019
Private Equity Practice Group of the Year
Download The Book of Jargon® App
Download the Global Merger Regimes App
Learn more about our Practices:
Mergers & Acquisitions