Diversity Leadership Academy
Latham is excited to host a select group of first-year law students at our annual Diversity Leadership Academy in San Francisco, California.
Diversity Leadership Academy brings together Latham lawyers from around the globe and talented first-year law students from across the United States, with a specific focus on developing and empowering future leaders of the legal profession and creating community among our lawyers, recruits, and 1L guests, all of whom share a commitment to diversity and inclusion.
2019 Diversity Leadership Academy
Diversity Leadership Academy is a firm-sponsored professional development and training program providing first-year law students with the information and skills needed to successfully navigate the law firm interview and hiring process and transition from law student to practicing attorney. Students will participate in interactive seminars on a variety of topics, including resume writing, interview skills, diversity and inclusion, and pro bono.
Participants will be identified as an exclusive group of Latham & Watkins Diversity Leadership Scholars, providing an opportunity to network and build relationships with like-minded peers from a variety of top law schools.
During the course of the weekend, participants will meet and network with Latham lawyers and firm leaders at seminars and social events. Diversity Leadership Academy offers a unique opportunity to get to know our lawyers and develop professional relationships in a more relaxed setting.
Each 1L student will be partnered with a Latham mentor who will serve in this capacity during the Diversity Leadership Academy and throughout the remainder of the student’s law school career. The mentor will serve as a resource for professional development and career advice.
The application process is open to all first-year law students (class of 2022), regardless of race, color, religion, citizenship, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, military service, disability, or any other characteristic or condition protected by applicable law.
A selection panel will evaluate all applications, considering the factors below:
- Academic and leadership achievements
- Obstacles, challenges, or other factors (financial or otherwise) encountered in advancing career objectives
- Life experiences that have shaped values and professional goals
- A desire to practice at a global law firm
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting inclusion and diversity in the legal profession
Applications for the 2020 Diversity Leadership Academy will be open from November 18 through January 10, 2020.
Application materials required:
- Completed online application
- Unofficial 1L law school transcript*
- A personal statement (500 to 1,000 words) addressing how you have demonstrated resilience and tenacity that will contribute to the diversity of experience across Latham’s practice and culture, and what you believe demonstrates your qualification for the Diversity Leadership Academy including, but not limited to, a description of your academic and leadership achievements; noteworthy contributions to the community or otherwise; and/or how you overcame adversity.
Note: applicants that seek to apply for both Diversity Leadership Academy and Latham’s 1L Fellowship Program need only complete the 1L Fellowship Program application and select to apply to both programs. The 1L Fellowship Program application is available here: www.lw.com/1LFellowship.
*If your first semester grades are not be available by the application deadline, you may submit your application online and separately email your transcript once your grades become available. Once it is available, please email your unofficial transcript to Grace McLeod at email@example.com. Finalists will be required to submit official transcripts as they progress through the selection process.
If you have any questions regarding the Latham & Watkins Diversity Leadership Academy, please email Recruiting.Global@lw.com.
- March 27-29, 2020, San Francisco
- Firm-sponsored, including travel, hotel, and meals
- Training includes skills needed to successfully navigate the law firm interview and hiring process and transitioning from a law student to a practicing attorney
- Networking opportunities
- Mentoring from Latham lawyers for the duration of your law school career
Testimonials from Diversity Leadership Academy
- “The best part of the Diversity Leadership Academy was the opportunity to meet other diverse candidates and attorneys from all over the country and from different schools. It was a chance to meet an amazing group of people, and was particularly impressive because of Latham's broad definition of diversity.”
- "Latham is truly at the forefront of promoting diversity"
- "Blown away. Great time. Love SF. Love L&W"
- "It exceeded my expectations"