Bob Wyman is the global Chair of the Environment, Land & Resources Department and the global Co-chair of the Air Quality and Climate Change Practice.
Mr. Wyman’s practice includes:
- Air quality
- Cleantech and renewable energy
- Climate change
Mr. Wyman’s litigation practice includes:
- Civil and criminal enforcement defense
- Defense of citizen suits (e.g., under the Clean Air Act, CEQA and Proposition 65)
- Direct review of administrative agency actions in federal and state courts
Mr. Wyman writes and speaks extensively in the areas of air quality, cleantech and renewable energy, climate change, corporate disclosure, corporate civil and criminal liability, sustainability, among other topics. He served on US EPA’s Clean Air Act Advisory Committee for 18 years (from 1991-2009). He also served on EPA’s Advanced Coal Technology and the Air Quality Management Work Groups.
Mr. Wyman was recognized as a leading environmental lawyer by the following publications:
- “Highly Recommended” by Euromoney/Legal Media Group’s inaugural Clean Technology and Renewable Energy guide (2013)
- “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers Los Angeles Litigation - Environmental (2013)
- Band 1 Chambers USA California Environmental attorney ranking for each year (2004-12)
- Band 1 Chambers USA (Climate); Band 2 Global (Climate)
- A Top 50 Lawyer in LA by the Los Angeles Business Journal
- California’s Environmental Law Dream Team by the California Lawyer
- Ethisphere’s Attorneys Who Matter (2009)
Watch this video to learn more about
the Environment, Land & Resources Department
Mr. Wyman regularly represents industry clients before all levels of government on a variety of matters, including permitting, variances and agency rulemaking. Among recent cases, Mr. Wyman successfully defended a US$1 billion power plant against a citizen suit challenge in the US District Court and Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals (Romoland et al v. SCAQMD, in which the Ninth Circuit first addressed proper venue for challenging a “merged” Clean Air Act Title V permit).
Some of Mr. Wyman’s current representations include:
- National Climate Coalition on EPA regulation of greenhouse gases under the federal Clean Air Act
- California Climate Coalition on California’s Global Warming Solutions Act of 2006 (AB 32)
- Regulatory Flexibility Group on Clean Air Act ozone and particulate matter nonattainment matters, including emissions trading and permitting
- Various traditional and renewable energy clients and manufacturers in strategic planning, permitting and project defense
Mr. Wyman has represented clients before Congress, the White House, the EPA, DOE and DOT regarding federal legislation, including the 1990 Clean Air Act Amendments as well as on various air quality-related provisions of transportation and energy legislation.
Mr. Wyman has designed several market-based and innovative programs under the Clean Air Act, including the South Coast Regional Clean Air Incentives Market (RECLAIM), EPA’s clean air communities program, vehicle pricing and investment strategies (COALESCE), forward-crediting cleantech strategies (California Climate Coalition) and the clean air investment fund (contained in President Clinton's Directive to EPA regarding ozone and fine particulate standards).
Mr. Wyman was recently elected as Secretary for the American College of Environmental Lawyers.