Mary Rose Alexander serves as the Vice Chair of both the global Litigation and Environment, Land and Resources Departments and has broad experience in complex commercial litigation, insurance and environmental law. In particular, Ms. Alexander has litigated matters concerning toxic torts, environmental matters, major industrial accidents, product liability/consumer fraud, insurance coverage and other complex commercial matters. She represents clients in many industries including oil and gas, manufacturing, consumer products, energy and aerospace.
Ms. Alexander has particular proficiency in coordinating multi-state and multi-forum litigation and trial practice. She is recognized in the "Top 250 Women in Litigation" by Benchmark Litigation 2013. Law 360 2012 named her MVP in the environmental practice area. In addition, she was named as one of the leading insurance lawyers in the United States by Chambers USA 2008-2010 as well as recommended in the Insurance and Product Liability practice areas in The Legal 500 2011.
Ms. Alexander’s toxic torts and environmental litigation practice includes multi-plaintiff defense in numerous federal and state courts involving alleged exposure to chemicals, including PCBs, lead, metals and solvents. Her practice includes defending clients in the most hostile jurisdictions through all aspects of the case from motion practice to case management to expert discovery to trial. She has also represented clients in various high-stakes environmental matters in federal and state courts.
Ms. Alexander’s insurance recovery practice includes litigation and alternative dispute resolution of a wide variety of coverages and claims, including product liability, first-party property damage, business interruption and environmental contamination. These lawsuits involve multiple claims in multiple forums against multiple parties.
Ms. Alexander has defended scores of clients in tort, contract and insurance matters arising from industrial accidents. She has been involved for her clients in connection with industrial accidents at numerous facilities, including a power plant, an ice cream manufacturing facility and an automotive supply manufacturing facility. These matters are being litigated in federal and state courts across the country.
Ms. Alexander's experience includes representation of:
- Buckeye Pipeline Company in defending toxic tort claims of approximately 400 plaintiffs relating to a gasoline pipeline release in Jackson, WI. Plaintiffs allege personal injuries, emotional distress and diminution of property value as a result of the contamination of well water in the area. This matter was recently filed in Wisconsin state court.
- Kuhlman Electric Corporation in multi-plaintiff toxic tort personal injury suits pending in Mississippi state and federal court alleging injuries from PCBs as well as in related indemnification and insurance litigation.
- Georgia-Pacific LLC in CERCLA litigation involving the US$1.6 billion remediation of alleged PCB contamination in the sediments of the Fox River in Wisconsin. Obtained two summary judgment rulings. Lead trial counsel for two 2012 trials on damages, arranger liability and divisibility.
- Nalco Company in class action and other litigation arising out of Gulf of Mexico 2010 oil spill. Obtained summary judgment.
- Chevron Corporation in toxic tort putative class acts on federal litigation involving alleged nuclear exposures. Won summary judgment.
- Chevron Corporation in numerous class action lawsuits pending in a federal multi-district court litigation generally alleging misrepresentation due to the sale of non-temperature adjusted gasoline.
- General Dynamics Ordnance and Tactical Systems in CERCLA litigation involving Crab Orchard site.
- Ford Motor Company arbitration involving fatal power plant explosion and claims for over US$500 million. Obtained favorable judgment.
- Wells Dairy in insurance coverage lawsuit involving property and liability insurance coverage for lawsuits relating to industrial explosion. Obtained 2003 published decision by the US District Court for the Northern District of Iowa granting summary judgment for Wells Dairy on the duty to defend. Separately secured property damage and business interruption coverage.
- Guidant Corporation and its subsidiaries in product liability insurance litigation in Illinois and Indiana state courts.