John Janka’s practice focuses on the telecommunications, media and technology sectors. For more than two decades, he has counseled international clients on a variety of regulatory, transactional and controversy matters, including:
- The purchase, sale and financing of communications companies
- The procurement and deployment of communications facilities and related technology transactions
- Global spectrum strategies, coordination and dispute resolution
- Joint ventures and other strategic alliances
- The sale and lease of communications capacity
- Content distribution
- Strategic planning
- Effectuating changes in legal frameworks
His clients include US and international satellite, wireless and other terrestrial telecommunications companies, Internet service providers, video programming and other content suppliers, media services companies, television and radio broadcast stations, manufacturers of telecommunications equipment, and firms that invest in and finance these businesses.
Both the Chambers USA and The Legal 500 US guides to commercial law firms rank Mr. Janka as a leading lawyer in the telecommunications, satellite and broadcast areas, noting his creativity, deep expertise and reputation as one of the leading lawyers in the satellite industry. Furthermore, Mr. Janka is consistently recognized by additional publications such as Legal Media Group's Expert Guide to the World’s Leading Technology, Media & Telecommunications Lawyers, Legal Media Group's The Best of The Best USA, The International Who's Who of Telecoms & Media Lawyers, Super Lawyers and Washingtonian.
Mr. Janka serves as Editor of the Technology, Media and Telecommunications Review, a guide to international technology, media and telecommunications law and practice around the globe. To view this publication please click here.
He has served as a United States Delegate to an ITU World Radiocommunication Conference in Geneva, Switzerland. Before joining Latham, Mr. Janka served as a law clerk to Judge Cynthia Holcomb Hall, United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit in Pasadena, California.
Mr. Janka's representative experience includes:
- Developing strategies to facilitate the licensing of global satellite networks
- Changing the law to enable radio frequency bands to be used for new services
- Resolving international spectrum coordination disputes
- Advising on the legal frameworks that govern the provision of broadband services
- Developing creative structures to facilitate governmental approvals of acquisitions and bankruptcy reorganizations
- Structuring investments to comply with foreign ownership restrictions
- Handling investigations into the manufacture of non-compliant radio equipment
- Negotiating satellite and launch services procurement agreements
- Creating global joint ventures for the distribution of video programming
- Negotiating project documents for the construction and deployment of an international terrestrial broadband communications network
- Acquiring telecommunications and broadcast businesses and assets