Nathaniel Marrs, a partner in the Chicago office, represents domestic and international fund sponsors, and other institutional owners and operators of real estate, in a variety of corporate transactions, including fund formations and investments, joint ventures, portfolio and single asset acquisitions and dispositions, and financings.
Mr. Marrs has substantial experience with various property types, including retail, industrial, office, multi-family, and hotels and casinos and various investment strategies, including CMBS, senior and subordinate financing, and preferred and common equity investments. He has worked with open and closed-end real estate fund sponsors focused on core, value-add and opportunistic strategies, and his practice has a significant cross-border element, with non-US clients focused on investment opportunities throughout the United States, and US clients focused on investment opportunities throughout Asia, India, Europe and the United Kingdom. Mr. Marrs’ transactional experience includes multi-jurisdictional REIT and investment management M&A transactions.
Mr. Marrs is regularly recognized as a leading expert in real estate and real estate-related areas of law by The Legal 500 (2011-2014) and was selected as a Leading Lawyer in Illinois for Real Estate Law: Commercial and Real Estate Law: Finance by Leading Lawyers Network. He is noted as an "outstanding fund lawyer" in the most recent edition of The Legal 500.
Mr. Marrs is an Advisory Board Member of the University of Chicago Booth School of Business Real Estate Alumni Group and a member of the Pension Real Estate Association (PREA). He has been an active speaker on real estate topics throughout his career, including at NYU Schack, Harvard Business School, University of Chicago Booth School of Business, Kellogg School of Management and Northwestern Law School. In addition, he has authored numerous articles for different publications, including PREA, The Real Estate Finance Journal and Financial Times.
Mr. Marrs' recent experience includes representation of:
Fund Formations and Investments
- LaSalle Investment Management in the formation of Japan Logistics Fund III
- LaSalle Investment Management in the formation of LaSalle Asia Opportunity Fund IV
- New principal-led sponsor group in the formation of a US-focused real estate value-add fund
- Institutional fund sponsor in the formation of a US-focused real estate opportunity fund
- New principal-led sponsor group in the formation of a US-focused real estate opportunity fund
Other Transactional Matters
- Kennedy Wilson in the acquisition of a US$1.8 billion loan portfolio from the Bank of Ireland, including the implementation of multiple levels of equity joint ventures and debt financings
- Wrightwood Capital in the sale of its real estate fund management business to Ares Management
- Qatari Diar in the formation of a joint venture with Hines to develop a mixed-use hotel and retail project in downtown Washington, D.C. known as CityCenter, D.C.
- A non-US institutional investor in its strategic investment in a large institutional private equity firm
- KTR Capital Partners in the purchase of a note secured by US industrial properties and the subsequent acquisition of such properties