John Giouroukakis is a partner in the New York office of Latham & Watkins. Mr. Giouroukakis is a member of the Corporate Department and has a broad practice centering on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and general corporate representation of both public and private companies. He has developed particular expertise in representing private equity firms and other financial investors in leveraged buyouts, investments and dispositions.
In recent years, he has represented a number of private equity firms and financial investors, such as Odyssey Investment Partners, Leonard Green & Partners, BC Partners, MatlinPatterson Global Advisers, Southfield Capital Advisors and the Gordon Brothers Group; and public and private companies, such as Goss International Corporation, FTD Group, Intelsat, Dayton Superior Corporation, Hubbell Incorporated, Griffin Land & Nurseries, Monster Worldwide, Neff Corp., Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Inc., AMC Entertainment, Books-A-Million and Spencer Gifts.
Mr. Giouroukakis has recently been profiled by Law360 in the publication’s “Rising Stars” feature for his work on recent high-profile private equity transactions. He was also recognized as a key partner in Latham’s Private Equity practice by The Legal 500 US 2012.
Mr. Giouroukakis currently serves on the firm’s Pro Bono Committee.
Mr. Giouroukakis's representative M&A experience includes advising:
- BC Partners in connection with its US$16 billion acquisition of Intelsat, its US$350 million preferred equity investment in Office Depot and its acquisition of ATI Enterprises
- Leonard Green & Partners and CVC Capital Partners in connection with their US$2.8 billion leveraged buyout of BJ’s Wholesale Club, Inc.
- XLHealth Corporation, a sponsor of Medicare Advantage health plans with a primary focus on Medicare recipients with special needs and a portfolio company of MatlinPatterson Global Advisers, in its sale to UnitedHealth Group, Inc.
- Odyssey Investment Partners in the leveraged buyouts of L-Com, Pexco LLC, Integrated Power Services, BarrierSafe Solutions International, TNT Crane and Rigging, One Call Medical, Safway Services, York Insurance Services Group, Wastequip, Ranpak Inc., Neff Corp., Peninsula Packaging and the tank rental division of NES Rentals
- Odyssey Investment Partners in the sale of its portfolio companies, Neff Corp. to Lightyear Capital, Pro Mach to The Jordan Company, York Insurance Services Group to ABRY Partners and Aviation Technologies, Inc. to the TransDigm Group Incorporated for US$430 million
- Leonard Green & Partners in connection with its equity investment in Animal Health International and its acquisitions of CCC Information Services, CHG Healthcare Services, US Renal Care, Tank Holdings, The Container Store, Prospect Medical Holdings, Inc. and Aspen Dental Management, Inc.
- FTD Group in connection with its US$800 million sale to United Online
- AMC Entertainment, JP Morgan Partners and Apollo Management, L.P. in AMC's acquisition of Loews Cineplex Entertainment Corporation