After opening its doors in January 2010, Latham & Watkins' Beijing office is the most recent addition to the firm’s Greater China practice.
Working closely with the Greater China team based in Hong Kong and Shanghai, as well as colleagues in Singapore and Tokyo, the Beijing office represents Chinese companies in cross-border mergers and acquisitions, private equity, capital markets transactions and complex financing transactions. The team also advises US, European and Asian companies conducting business in China and throughout the Asia-Pacific region.
The Greater China team includes lawyers who are fluent in both written and spoken Mandarin and have received US, Hong Kong and PRC legal education and training.
Transactional Prowess in Greater China
As part of the Greater China practice, lawyers in the Beijing office handle a range of transactions, including international capital markets, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, private equity, restructurings and project financings.
Members of the Latham team draw on more than 25 years of experience advising clients doing business in China. As counsel to issuers or underwriters, the firm's lawyers have been involved in many international equity, debt and equity-linked offerings by issuers in China and across Asia. Latham also represents some of the world's largest private equity funds and multinational corporations in their acquisitions or investments in the PRC and Asia. In addition, the firm regularly acts as lead counsel for the sponsors or lenders on the region's landmark power, petrochemical, and oil and gas projects.
Chambers Recommends Latham & Watkins for Advice in Greater China
In the 2014 edition of Chambers Asia-Pacific, clients described Latham’s Greater China Practice areas as follows:
- Banking & Finance (International Firms) – “Offers solid expertise in an extensive range of financing transactions,” and is particularly “known for its project finance work, handling cross-border matters in close collaboration with the Singapore and Japan offices.”
- Capital Markets (International Firms) – “Undertakes an increasing range of innovative and technically challenging transactions.”
- Corporate/M&A: The Elite (International Firms) – “Delivering highly distinctive, pragmatic and practical advice” and being a “professional, efficient, value-adding and high-quality team.”
- Dispute Resolution (International Firms) – “Their reputation for excellence is what attracted me to the firm.”
- Projects & Infrastructure (International Firms) – “One of the better firms for project financing across Asia generally.”
- Restructuring/Insolvency (International Firms) – “The team members are able to work independently, as a tight-knit team or in conjunction with other specialists. They always make you feel you are their top priority.”