Latham is strengthened by the diversity of its lawyers, paralegals and professional staff. This commitment to diversity and equal opportunity enables Latham to draw from a remarkable wealth of talent to create one of the world's leading law firms.
Achieving Diversity and Equal Opportunity
Latham has been a leader in conceiving, promoting and implementing methods that ensure lawyers are hired, trained and promoted fairly and with attention to the goals of equal opportunity and diversity in the practice of law. The firm has a Diversity Committee that monitors and addresses issues relating to achievement of the firm's equal opportunity and diversity objectives, and includes representatives from the Executive, Recruiting, Associates, Training, Pro Bono and EEO Committees, as well as the Business Development, Attorney Development and Human Resources Departments.
Increasing and Supporting Diversity in the Legal Profession
Latham has developed and supports a variety of programs and initiatives aimed at increasing diversity in the legal profession. Consistent with the firm’s non-discrimination policy and commitment to diversity, all Latham lawyers are welcome to participate in our diversity programs.
- Diversity Scholars Program: The Latham & Watkins Diversity Scholars Program awards six US$10,000 non-renewable scholarships to second-year law students at ABA-accredited law schools for use during their third year of law school. A selection panel comprised of partners and associates reviews the applications, interviews the finalists and selects the winners. Learn more about our most recent Diversity Scholars, the program or apply online.
- Latham & Watkins Law Preview Scholars Program: To help students get off to a good start during their first year of law school, the firm offers scholarships to select students from Georgetown University Law Center, Northwestern University Law School, New York University School of Law, Stanford Law School, and UC Davis School of Law to attend Law Preview’s week-long law school preparation courses.
- Sponsors for Educational Opportunity (SEO) Interns: Sponsors for Educational Opportunity (SEO) organizes internships for talented, underrepresented students of color who have been accepted to top law schools. Latham has partnered with SEO to host its interns in our offices.
- MPAC: The Multicultural Promotion & Attainment Coalition (MPAC) in Latham’s New York office is one example of an associate-driven, grassroots initiative that is open to all lawyers and is generally focused on supporting retention and promotion of lawyers with diverse backgrounds through a variety of professional, educational and social activities.
- Women Enriching Business (WEB): This initiative is designed to promote women in business by creating broader networks and productive business relationships and by attracting and investing in the long-term success of women.
- Supporting Attorney Participation in Diversity Programming: The firm encourages and supports its lawyers’ involvement in diversity programming, including participation at diversity conferences and preeminent minority bar association events. The Diversity Committee sponsors registration and travel costs for a select number of lawyers to participate in the annual conferences of various minority bar associations.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Latham is an equal opportunity employer. The firm prohibits discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, or any other characteristic or condition protected by applicable state or federal law. It is also against firm policy to discriminate against any qualified disabled employee or applicant, against a disabled veteran or against a veteran of the Vietnam era.
The firm will ensure that applicants and employees are treated in all aspects of employment without unlawful discrimination because of these or any other protected bases. Such aspects of employment include, but are not limited to, recruitment, hiring, promotion, demotion, transfer, layoff, termination, compensation and training. Additionally, it is the policy of Latham & Watkins that all employees enjoy a work environment free from all forms of unlawful harassment of a sexual or other discriminatory nature. Any conduct contrary to this policy is prohibited.