Lawyers at Latham are experienced in preparing and negotiating the contracts, permits and other documents necessary to bring a greenfield project through the construction, commissioning, financing and operational phases. The firm's experience includes both upstream mining projects, as well downstream businesses such as refineries, smelters, mills and other industrial operations.
Latham's team is familiar with the commercial and political issues associated with “beneficiation” projects in various jurisdictions, including those relating to competition, local pricing policies and support for local value-added production. The firm's experience includes preparing and negotiating key supply and offtake agreements, as well as designing tolling and other innovative structures.
Latham's industry expertise enables the firm to add value for clients in a range of areas, including contract structure, risk allocation and contract “bankability.” In particular, the firm's lawyers advise on:
- Contract mining agreements
- Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) contracts
- Engineering, Procurement and Construction Management (EPCM) agreements
- Management contracts
- Offtake agreements
- Procurement and related construction documentation
- Technical services contracts
- Technology licensing agreements